Breaking news: Mike Richter to retire. One of the great goaltenders in the game. How long until his number (35) gets hoisted to the rafters in Madison Square Garden?
Mike Richter retires not only as the greatest goalie in Rangers history but arguably as the greatest U.S.-born netminder:
– 301-258-73 record with a 2.89 goals-against average in 666 career games
– 41-33 with a 2.68 GAA in the postseason
– 301 victories is Rangers franchise record
– Won Stanley Cup in 1994, stopping Pavel Bure penalty shot along the way
– Three-time All-Star, named All-Star MVP in 1994
– Netminder for 1988, 1998 and 2002 U.S. Olympic teams, won silver medal in ’02.
– MVP of the 1996 World Cup
– Led league with franchise-record 42 wins in 1994.
– Will become just the third Ranger, joining Rod Gilbert and Eddie Giacomin, to have his number retired – that in a pregame ceremony on Feb. 4, 2004